Friday, July 10, 2015

Featured Friday - Lauren Bergold!!!



Well you all are in for a TREAT today. If you're a new follower to my blog 1) you are awesome! and 2) Featured Friday is a once-a-month segment around these parts in which I highlight another crafty blogger who is a huge inspiration to me. 

Getting to know other bloggers has been a huge part of what drives me to create and without further ado, I will introduce this month's Featuree:


hi there!



Firstly - how cool is her blog name?! It's just one of the MANY examples of Lauren's hilarious personality. 

I first stumbled upon Lauren's blog after viewing some of her amazing work on a design team challenge inspiration post. Her downright miraculous treatment of patterned paper leaves me incredulous every time I see one of her creations. Many of her designs include zero white space and patterns that I never would have thought to pair!



  




She's Artsy with a capital A - she frequently draws her own designs and goes beyond cardmaking with ATCs, fancy index cards, and mini-journals. 

But why let me tell you all about Lauren, when she can tell you about all about herself? Here are 7 things you should know about Lauren:


1. How did you get your crafty start?

I'm pretty convinced there's a "craft gene" and I was born with it. My mom and her sister are crafty, their dad was very creative, my nieces and nephew love to draw and color and make stuff... it's just a thing we all do!

2. What is your favorite "style" of crafting?

Collage has always been my favorite medium and I'm definitely a "more is more" kind of gal, lol! I love lots of layers, pattern-on-pattern, vintage ingredients, found objects and loads of texture. I really admire people who can do "clean and simple" but alas, I'm not one of them.

3. If you could be any color, which would it be and why?

Can I be a rainbow? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease??!?!! If not, I guess I'll be hot pink, to cheer everyone up! :)

4. What is the best craft organization tip you have?

Think about how you personally work best and think realistically about how much stuff you actually have. We all love pretty containers but let's face it, the plain sturdy ones tend to hold more and last longer. I store as many things as possible vertically (like a book shelf), so I can browse and access individual items easily; if I have to dig through a *pile* the stuff on the bottom just won't get used. I also keep a "basic kit" of things i use constantly (scissors, adhesives, pens)next to my prime workspace, and a duplicate set in my travel bag, because i was constantly forgetting at least one vital thing when teaching or taking classes.

5. What are your favorite card making/scrapbooking challenges to participate in?

Well Shopping Our Stash and Jingle Belles are both very near and dear to my heart, obviously! I also love the Cardabilities sketches. Fusion Card Challenge always inspires. The Crooked Stamper Sketch Challenge is pretty awesome... and I'm not just saying that because Leslie is my friend and I designed the graphic for it, lol! For the last three summers, I've participated in The Index Card a Day project (aka ICAD) via the Daisy Yellow Art blog, which is not a challenge in the traditional sense, but which I find hugely helpful for recharging mojo and trying new things.

6. What is your least favorite crafting supply?

Hmmmmmm... that's really tough! I don't think there's any particular category I dislike. I suppose I'd have to say anything that's badly designed or doesn't work right. Punches that line up poorly, dies which don't release and unreliable adhesives don't last long at my house. Life's too short!

7. What is your best advice for new crafty bloggers?

Try not to get too caught up in the "comparison" game. There will always be people who are a skill-level above and below you, this is true of EVERYTHING in life. Make things you love, keep practicing, learn from your mistakes and especially...HAVE FUN!!!
-------------------------------------------


I think her last piece of advice - to have fun! - is something that we both really agree on. Blogging and crafting is supposed to be a blast! 

Now here's the part of Featured Friday that I REALLY love. We take one of Lauren's old designs and CASE it! I distinctly remember seeing the card I chose to case for the first time and I am pretty sure I stared at it for a good long while. 

The Original: 



Thud <--- sound of my jaw dropping. Right?!?! If any card is a work of art it would be THIS ONE!! It's made with tons of paper folded pieces and patterned paper. Lauren has a tutorial on her blog, if you'd like more details about how she pulled this off. 


Lauren's CASE


Lauren opted to go for a travel-themed card and this time around she used old falling apart maps and atlases to fuel her design. She folded all the pieces from the books and maps and repurposed them into something absolutely stunning!!

My CASE


To be perfectly honest... I feel a little silly. There's no patterns on here! Doh! I started folding bits of white paper just to practice with and then I never stopped! I gessoed the whole bit to make the white paper firmer and give it more of a distressed paper mache feel and then I added a heavy layer of gelatos and blended all together. Lastly, I sponged a layer of Black Soot Distress Inks to really bring out the corners of my folded triangles. So, no patterns - but hey I'll just have to make another gorgeous card like this. 

I'm going to send this baby over to play along in the following great challenges: 
Addicted to Stamps - Make Your Mark
613 Ave Create - Anything Goes with Flag option

Thank you for popping by - Lauren has an extra card to share with you on >>>her blog<<< using this technique, in addition to that tutorial I mentioned earlier so you should definitely go say HELLO! and help to make her day EXTRA SPECIAL. That's what this bloggy community is all about - right?!

42 comments:

  1. WOW. Inspiration galore! lol ;) FAB Feature Friday and cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, see, that *THUD* from a minute ago was MY JAW hitting the floor b/c HOLY MOLY how coooooooooool is this thing??!?!? luckily you have labelled it correctly, "best ever in the world"!!! :) (seriously WOW... this is totally brilliant (in every sense lol) i've gotta try doing the all white and then decorating it once assembled... never would've thought of that!)

    btw, thank you very much for the lovely feature and kind words! this was soooooo much fun! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous cards and love your version Becca x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for not commenting in so long! But now I am back!
    Love the Featured Friday and learning more about fellow bloggers! The card you chose to CASE and both of your CASE's blew me away! LOVE them all so much! Oh my! Seriously awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a fun post - love the original and your case - gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of them are jaw dropping! As a matter of fact your blog is jaw dropping. I have to CASE this!! You have such talent and every post I always ooooo and aaaa.. Seriously, I am not kidding!! Have a great day and thank you for sharing your amazing talent with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet! Thanks for the great comment.

      Delete
  7. ARE YOU SERIOUS! Again, I'm picking up myself off the floor. Both Lauren & you have struck me dumb. Amazing work...these 3 need to be in a gallery somewhere. I have no words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo for Lauren!!!!!! Psstttt...she's absolutely fabulous in person and has a heart of gold!

    Such AWESOME inspiration ladies...LOVE everything!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ARE YOU SERIOUS! Again, I'm picking up myself off the floor. Both Lauren & you have struck me dumb. Amazing work...these 3 need to be in a gallery somewhere. I have no words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG _ this is stunnnnnnnnning! Have to look at the tutorial....... Not sure if I can muster the patience to do something like it......Swooning over your colors and everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome feature, Becca!! The cards are amazing!! I love the original and both of your CASE's!! They are all amazing!! The colors of your card are so beautiful!! Thanks for another fabulous feature Friday!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super post Becca and great cards...thanks for the inspiration, hugs Carole Z X

    ReplyDelete
  13. These triangulated cards are fun! LOVE the one with maps:)
    Happy to learn more of Lauren...happy to hear she likes MORE is MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my good golly, this is super fun inspiration overload girl!!! I love your take on her design with the map!! I'm in awe here today Becca!! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. BTW...Thanks so much for joining us over at ATSM!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. AWESOME by both AWESOME ladies!! Werd!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous post, I will have to head over to her blog. Love what you both did. Her cardmaking style is so cool, reminds me of my scrapbooking....I love lots of patterns together on big pages.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This paper folder by both of you is awesome plus! I remember seeing Laureen's original card - and yes, my jaw dropped too! Love your card AND Laureen's card!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness Becca! This feature on ur blog is so amazing, Love to know how much talent is out there. Lauren's creativity is mind blowing, I can never even dream about achieving something like this :) but you my friend ... Oh my what a stunning piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Becca!! this does not need patterns. I LOVE the gelato look better. The texture and colors are so rich and this looks like you folded FABRIC more then it does paper. One of the most beautiful creations I have ever seen!!! STUNNING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing. That paper folding.....ALL the cards are jaw-dropping! Another FAB Friday read. Thank you:):)

    ReplyDelete
  22. *waves* Lauren has been one of my bloggy pals forEVER. I love how she makes more-is-more work. And that CASE card? THUD, indeed. That girl is simply amazing, what can I say?

    And Becca? No apologies! Who said your paper needed to have patterns? It's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Becca, thank you for introducing your blogging friends to Lauren! What awesome talent; love the paper folding technique. And, Becca, your card is gorgeous! You did it your way, which I love seeing your colorful creations! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  24. My jaw dropped when I saw your folded paper card, Becca! Amazing creation & I love Lauren's cards, too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG jaw dropping here too Becca. An amazing piece of art. Love it and the vibrant colours and inky finger I bet. Love our case.

    ReplyDelete
  26. what an fun feature! I love Lauren's art too and her fun blog name! Wonderful card to feature and the cases are fabulous from both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow I don't know where to start with such a rich post!
    First, thank you for introducing us to yet another awesome artist and then my! These cards are so unique and so fab!
    Then your take , seriously Becca, my mouth just opened and let a big gasp of amazement!!
    You are too good!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow I am loving these cards!!! My favourite is the painted rainbow one "Best ever in the world". It's amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Can I say OMG!!!!! First her designs are amazing and I love how you cased the card! I love the rainbow colours in the jewel tones and that you applied dark colour to the tips-wonderful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. you're all amazing artists! what inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fabulous collection of cards, Becca! I love how you folded bits of paper and blended your inks on your last one...very cool effect! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at ATSM!

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW! I stared at these three cards for a good long while, Becca! Lauren's are amazing, and you've certainly done her creations justice with the dazzler of your own! So impressive! Thank you for the Featured Friday: how marvelous to learn more about fellow crafters - and finding another source of inspiration to add to my Feedly list!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great post Becca, I loved getting to know Laren, and all the cards yours and hers were fantastic. Have a blessed day, My friend

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fab post Becca, love both the CASEs and the original is just amazing too!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. RAINBOW!!!! I love your CASE - and Lauren is just fabulous, a wonderful teammie at SOS, and insanely talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Her card is adorable all with so many detail and I am not a patient girl at making cards
    two thumbs up for her card
    and yours...yeah swooning...
    I see your mixed media things on your card
    and the color so fantabulous
    Becca I am making CAS card why? because the little boys in my home still need me the Mama hehe
    I wish I can make mixed media and complicated cards too but its not my time this years..
    I love your post
    hugs, Monika

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wonderful feature Becca, I first 'met' Lauren through her Jingle Belles challenge blog and have been a fan of her amazing talents and great sense of humour ever since! Wonderful to learn more about her and you have both CASE'd her amazing original card beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  38. WOW, such beautiful and vibrant colours on your CASE of Lauren's card, Becca!!!! What a great design using all the folded papers!!! So unique and lovely!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. OH, MY GOSH - AMAZING and WONDERFUL in EVERY WAY!!! I am just overwhelmed by the awesomeness here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Lauren is truly da' bomb and worthy of a feature ... love both of your re-dos of Lauren's fun paper design ... awesome.

    ReplyDelete