Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Mixed Media Flowers - Mixed Media Card Challenge

It's my first challenge over at the Mixed Media Card Challenge!! I'm pretty thrilled to have another reason to get all messy and inky, and am pumped (say that in Arnold's voice and you'll laugh) to bring you this card today.
The theme over at the Mixed Media Card Challenge this month is:

http://themixedmediacardchallenge.blogspot.com/2015/07/mmcc-13-blue.html

Blue can be taken a number of ways - literally the color, sadness, or maybe even you want to get all funky creative and channel Picasso during his blue period. 

As for me, when I set out to make this card, I was having a bit of a mixed media block. So I did what I always do in this situation and broke out the gesso and a palette knife.
 




The scariest thing about mixed media is staring at a white page, so whenever I'm having troubles, I just start slapping things on and hope for the best. 

Lo and behold - as soon as I had some texture on my page a plan shaped in my mind. I used my Cricut to die cut an elaborate frame and then I painted it with a shimmery layer of deep blue Perfect Pearls. 


As you can tell from my whack-a-doodle process photos, it was late when I was making this. :) That's ok, I've decided that I'm going to be like the Rachel Ray of cardmaking. I'm going to be real! I always think it's super weird when I see process photos that have a pristine white background. Like what happened?! Did you really take the time to clean up the mess between each photo?

Anyways, back to the show. 

I ultimately opted to incorporate the optional vase element into my design. I cut out some heavy weight vellum and scored it to look like a vase, then I applied a layer of rock glitter. 



To that, I added some stamped, fussy cut flowers (from the Dee's Artsy Impressions - Blooming Buds set) that I colored with layers of gelatos. I also used Old Paper Distress Inks to make the gesso texture in the background pop and speckled it all with some Perfect Pearl splatters. 


Et voila!





My card, for your perusal. 
I'm going to join in the fun at
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday - Dots or Spots (my splatters)
Sparkle and Sprinkle - Use loose glitter, flocking, embossing
Glitter and Sparkle - Must have a sentiment
Isn't it blue-tee-ful? (You didn't really think you were getting out of here without at least one bad pun, did you?!)

So come get blue with us over at the Mixed Media Card Challenge! You'll be happy you did! 




39 comments:

  1. LOVE seeing those flowers in BLUE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful card, Becca - love the vase and the flower is so pretty - am loving that stamp set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you just slapped things on the blank page. Well, you certainly are really good at that. This is a WOW card. You ROCKED your first challenge. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you just slapped things on the blank page. Well, you certainly are really good at that. This is a WOW card. You ROCKED your first challenge. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card, love all the texture and colour.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely card Becca, the flower vase is really pretty and I love the gestures, hugs Carole Z X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great first challenge and with my favourite colour! I love that frame. I love the vase-you really rock:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. aw, no sadness for blue: tranquil! peaceful! beautiful! i loooooove this. gorgeous coloring!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card, this so stood out amongst the DT, the vase is fabulous and that blue bloom....just luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous!! The vase looks amazing!! I love the pretty flowers!! Stunning card my friend!! I love it!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely stunning, Becca! Loving that sparkly vase!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so fabulous at mixed media!! I LOVE this card. The blue POPS and the vase is spectacular!! Great design!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Becca you are the best!! Love the blooming buds in blue :) fabulous coloring and amazing texture, love that shimmering vase that u added to the mix. Congratulations on ur debut at MMCC! I am sure u will rock this challenge :) I can't wait to see rest of the cards :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a great design with that beautiful vase and frame! love the glitter on it! Welcome to the DT - so happy to be working with you! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. hello Becca! this is adorable, I am so luvin the glittery vase....FAB! I am so glad you played along with Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

    sparkle & shine *~*

    ReplyDelete
  16. FABULOUS debut card Becca!! The blue flowers are so pretty and what a nifty vase!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wowzers! Perfect for the challenge & that rock crystal stuff???? LOOOOVE it....gosh, it works a treat over the vellum. Gorgeous debut:):)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this design! Gorgeous card.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Blue-tee-ful indeed, my friend! You are in your element with mixed media, as this debut card makes abundantly clear! I couldn't "do" mixed media if I tried...but you're making me *want* to try! Now that's inspiration!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is great Becca. What I do to stop the starkness of a white background is add a neutral color all over first or just use a background that is colored. I love how your card came out the colors are great and the vase with the artsy flowers is amazing
    Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday Anything Goes July Linky Party. Have a blessed day
    DIANA L.

    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com
    http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. oops I meant you could enter this in my July linky...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful creation, images and colours used. Love how the flower appears to be in a vase...clever.xx Have a great weekend..xx
    {aNNie My Personal Blog}

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous Becca, I love the glitter on the vase and your choice of blue is just brilliant! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. So glad I am not the only messy stamper - thanks for the process photos Becca, and your finished project is gorgeous.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a gorgeous card, Becca! I love your vase and frame, and love how you explained your thought process! This is just beautiful! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful card and such pretty elements - the shimmery frame and vase, the depth in the flowers. So lovely. Welcome to the MMCC DT

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love those real-life messy process photos! Think I'll follow your lead - will save me loads of time ;)
    Love the textured background and your clever glitzy vase.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful creation. Love the colours.

    Thank you for joining us at Glitter n Sparkle. Hope to see you again soon.

    Tracey DT

    ReplyDelete
  29. A stunner for your debut, Becca! Love the glitter over the vellum--so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous card and I love the vase with all the glitter xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow Love the flower bouquet you made
    the frame add really lovely look on your card
    love the sketch too
    Adorable Card Becca

    ReplyDelete
  32. love the vase and the flowers!!! great card! glad to be on the team with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is really Blue-tee-ful! Thanks for joining us at Sparkle N Sprinkle :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the keeping it real! I always think the same thing - who DOESN'T make a mess? Come onnnnn. Love the vase - so sparkly!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This surely is blue-tee-ful, Becca!!!! Love the blue frame and the stunning vase and flowers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. So purty. Just love those blooms is that gorgeous vase.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Fabulous card and gorgeous colors. Thanks for sharing it with us for the Sparkle N Sprinkle Creative Challenge.

    ReplyDelete