Sunday, July 19, 2015

Sending Love All Around - Happy Blogiversary Jen Shurkus!


I just started blogging last September and I was sucked in big time. It was really my first time visiting around to all the talented crafters on the web. Sure, like anyone, I spent hours whiling away on Pinterest feeling simultaneously hungry and like I needed to work out, but I never really clicked through to see the techniques.



So when I stumbled upon Jenn Shurkus's blog, I ooohed and aaahed and clicked on a bunch of posts and drooled. In that order. I love Jen's blog because she designs much like I do - casting off the "I must be only CAS or I must be only mixed media" mantra. She's spent the last 10 years proving that if you're talented, you can design whatever the heck you want. 

{creative chick} 10th Blogiversary Celebration | shurkus.com


Jenn is celebrating her 10-year blogiversary in a BIG way - with lots of prizes and a challenge to CASE one of her past designs. So my design pays homage to one of the awesome techniques I found on her blog and Pinned to explore later. 

This is the art journal background that she made with distress paints, a stencil and a baby wipe: 


Art-journal-full-500

 Isn't it gorgeous?!

I CASEd her design by starting with a layer of gesso and then using red gelatos in selected areas. 
After I had a thick layer of blended gelatos, I used the STAMPlorations Tribal Swirls stencil and a babywipe to remove a layer of the gelatos. 



 Once I had that layer down, I added a layer of Black Soot Distress Paint through the Brackets stencil and let it get a little bit messy. Yay for messy! 

This project is actually a postcard I made for the Love Notes project - I got paired up with a stranger and for the month of July am sending her one inspirational postcard a week. It's super fun and a great chance to practice my hand lettering. 



 So happy blogiversary Jenn! Thank you for all the inspiration you've given me! 

I'm also going to link this project up to:
Mixed Media World Stencils challenge

Speaking of celebrations - don't forget that I'm celebrating my birthday in a BIG way too! And handing out tons of prizes! For all the details check out my Birthday Bash Linkup party



Thank you to EVERYONE who left me birthday wishes so far! And for those who have become new followers. I haven't stopped smiling all week! :) I'll post pictures of my party soon, since some people have asked about it. 

Xoxo - Becca


38 comments:

  1. This is awesome!!! Hope you're having a great birthday weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said it before and I'll say it again...YOU NEED A WHOLE MONTH TO CELEBRATE A BIRTHDAY! And apparently all the good wishes you're receiving are inspiring you, big time. Geez, wish I could do this with any sort of success. Awesome design, wonderfully executed technique and totally fabulous lettering. Where are you going to hang this masterpiece? Hopefully somewhere right in front of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! Fabulous techniques, Becca! love the drama with these colors! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous and great celebrations x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous case!! I love the colors and your hand lettering -- it looks amazing!! Love it, Becca!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! That is an AWESOME technique- thank you for the steps.... So gonna do it!!! And the postcard--- simply DIVINE. You'd think you'd been blogging for years, btw....;)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your lettering is amazing, Becca--gorgeous, artistic creation--as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what great lettering Becca, just fabulous. And I gotta love that red white black combo (my wedding colors)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Artsy and beautifully lettered!! You rocked your interpretation of Jenn's project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for leaving such a sweet comment. I wanted to stop by your blog. Sorry I've been so busy. Your CASE of Jenn's project is FANTASTIC! I love the colors and the quote! Happy Birthday if I haven't already said so... hope you continue to smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. happy happy birthday!!!! hope you are having a great weekend...

    love your project!! great quote!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, such a cool CASE, Becca ... the fabulous texture and boldness capture Jenn's page brilliantly ... and your hand lettering ... oh my goodness ... it's fantastic! Belated Happy Birthday for Friday ... enjoy your lovely looooong celebration! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful card - love the stunning colours and texture - never mind those words!! So glad you were so inspired :-)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  14. woohooo Becca
    yours look so vibrant and woooowww I am speechless
    love it the vibrant red and black and nice sentiment too
    great creation my friend
    hugs and miss you

    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a stunning mixed media creation, Becca!!! Surely your friend loved her postcard as much as I do!!!!! Lovely sentiment and very artistically done!!!!!
    Have a wonderful week!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your card is awesome with all the different elements. Your lettering style adds so much to it. Have a wonderful birthday month!! Thanks for sharing your creations. So glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super creation Becca, love the red and black, hugs Carole Z X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing! You are truly talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A gorgeous card with beautiful lettering! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is just way cool!! Love your talent with the mixed media!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your card is great-love the texture as always and the black with the red and white.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun postcard and you hand lettering is spot on!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's beautiful Becca and so uniquely YOU!!
    Thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous Becca, love the red, black and white....hope you had a fab birthday last Friday.xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, Becca, what a fantastic mixed media card you've created! It's a feast for my eyes! I love your wonderful textures, vibrant colours and that amazing artistic design with your awesome hand lettering! Stunning piece of art!
    Hugs! Branka x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really neat mixed media piece...great sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful piece Becca, you really took all the best elements and techniques from Jenny's project and made it your own! Fabulous work of art! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful work of art and I'm in full agreement that you should create what you feel rather then what you feel you need to ;)
    Thanks for joining us at MMW and good luck
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is very cool. Love the colours and your gorgeous text. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  30. This gorgeous Becca and a fabulous take on Jenn's project. Lover the colour and the texture you achieved, as usual, you are one very talented lady hun, thanks for sharing Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your story, Becca. For crafting in such a short time, you are doing amazing things! You go girl! Love your case'd project. Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  32. awwww i love this becca!!!! whoo hoo for artsy fartsy! :) thank you so much for helping me celebrate my 10th blogiversary!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. LOVE your case and I love what you chose to CASE! You can create some seriously amazing things xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are so cool and I think you can FLAT OUT DO ANYTHING!!! You have super powers when it comes to crafting - this is so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Becca, this is truly amazing!! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Letting go of the idea you've got to have a certain style is so freaking liberating!! Do what feels good! This is just so fun, and your lettering? I'm jelly.

    ReplyDelete