Thursday, March 2, 2017

Sailing Away - Fusion Challenge

Sailing, sailing, sailing. Somewheeeeeere. Beyond the seeeeeeeeaaaaaa. 

*warning: brief-but-entertaining off-topic tangent ahead*


nautical_happy_birthday_card_men_sailing_ships


Do you want to know what that song always brings to mind? Back in my junior high days I realllllly wanted to lose some weight (hah... if I was only that skinny now) and this was pre-Netflix, Hulu, Youtube workout video on demand.  My mom had this old copy of Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies and my sister and I would clamber off the school bus and watch good ol' Richard in is upper-thigh-baring 70s track shorts and try to do our best follow along. Beyond the sea was always my fave song, because it meant we were cooling down and the VCR tape was almost done. 

Haha - good memories!

BUT the real reason we're all here is for a card, yes? 


Before I show off the finished design, check out that faaaabulous inspiration image & sketch from Fusion this fortnight (pssstt...... I'm just learning now that fortnight means two weeks. I always thought it was a fancy way of saying month, but NOPE. I feel so British when I say it, too. Try it! And then have some tea and crumpets.)

Woops... I didn't warn you about that tangent. 

If you haven't played along at Fusion before, I love it because you can choose either the sketch OR the inspiration image, or you can mash the two together (which is what I chose to do). 

masculine_birthday_card_guy_ship_sailing_nautical

Mix and matching patterns anyone? Thanks to Simon Says Stamp's Sailing Away set and coordinating papers, I was able to do just that with ease!

The inspiration image made me use all those different stripes and patterns, and if you squint you can see a little ship on the countertop. I also used the sketch as a base for my design. 

I'm also going to play along with the following awesome challenges:
Sisterhood of Crafters - Destination/Travel
Use Your Stuff - Use a Sketch of your choice
Come and Get It - It's in the Male 


Well that's all for me today, folks! I hope you take time to go see what the rest of my Fusion Friends did and then play along yourself!!

21 comments:

  1. Super nautical card and so suitable for our Male challenge. Thanks for joining us at Come And Get It, CarolG.
    (PS it may make more sense to you to know that fortnight came from (old days) fourteennights = 2 weeks.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Becca Becca Becca! I LOVE anything nautical and your card is nautical fabulous; love every element you used! Thank you for sharing with us at The Sisterhood of Crafters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is a so lovely navvy card!! Great interpretation of the sketch and such fab design!! Love that big anchor and the string behind the Happy diecut! Wonderful colours and perfect papers! You always rock, Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful nautical card and great sketch. Thanks for playing along at Use Your Stuff - Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! What a FABULOUS creation! GREAT job!!!! Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood’s ‘Destination/Travel’ challenge and please come back again soon!
    Darlene
    one of the 'Sistahs'
    The Sisterhood of Crafters
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice card. Love your memory of that song. I actually worked out to this video accompanied by 2 of my children. Yes, many of us wish we were as big as we thought we were back then. TLC has a great sentiment about that. Thank you for joining us at Come And Get It challenge. Bunny DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's really sweet card. Thanks for joining us at Come And Get It challenge.Neva

    ReplyDelete
  8. Layers of nautical fun Becca!! And your tangent(s)...too much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at UYS, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once again you have aced this card Becca - love the nautical theme and how you have used the sketch
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Becca, you're amazing! This is a fabulous card!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So this is awesome and what arrest fusion of the sketch and inspiration photo! It's like this is what they had in mind....love the patterns and love the black and white with some Aqua...what a great man card...or anyone card really....yeah...Richard Simmons...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome card! I love all the nautical pieces and that big chunky Happy really stands out with the anchor! Thanks for the code for the stamp set the other day ~ the stamps are on their way to me now! Thanks for the memories of working out to Richard Simmons!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I just love this perfect masculine birthday card!
    All the layers are just lovely; beautifully designed.
    And that anchor is gorgeous!
    Speaking of Richard Simmons & his shorts ... where I work, we
    have a Canadian customer come in wearing THE SHORTEST shorts ever!
    And he reminds me of Richard Simmons, too. (But this guys' shorts
    should be considered illegal! lol).

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is terrific, Becca! I LOVE the sailing theme inspiration you drew from. The card is creative and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, my, enjoyed your story and the fortnight comment, Becca - had me smiling - I used to do Jane Fonda!!!!!! LOL - those were the days, when I had a great figure!!!!!
    Love your stunning card!!!! Wonderfully done with the nautical theme - perfect papers and perfectly put together!!!! WOW!!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this nautical design with its mix of color and pattern! Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great birthday card design. Thank you for joining us at Come and Get It this week. Hope to see you back here again soon. Judy DT

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I really love your card! It has some great elements and layers from your inspiration piece! Thanks for joining us at UYS and hope to see you again!
    Tammy DT Co-ordinator

    ReplyDelete
  20. This post is such a great read :) I can vividly remember the relief when that cooling down period arrived. Anyways, your card this fortnight is superb! Fabulous patterns and that jaunty "hello" is so much fun. As an aside, coming from New Zealand, I assumed that the whole world used the word "fortnight" until a couple of years ago when I was talking with a friend from NH and completely baffled her :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Holiday is something which cannot be compared to any other thing. You need to keep in mind that you need to book a package like https://www.shimlapacks.in/shimla-honeymoon-tour-packages-delhi which has everything on the go. Look for a package which can help you explore the place better.

    ReplyDelete